Saturday 10 December 2011

Reflective Essay: my dynamic life in KMLA

I am a new student who joined Korean Minjok Leadership Academy in the second semester. It was my first time to encounter a dormitory school, so I was really worried. I had hard times trying to adjust to the dormitory school life such as following the rules, staying away from my parents, etc. Now as I look back, I can see that I have had a lot of experiences, and through those experiences, I grew older.

            As people say, experiences are mistakes, and from mistakes we change. That is exactly what happened to me when I first joined KMLA. I learnt how to control my own demerit points after getting a lot in the first month of the second semester. In September, my friends and I decided to order chickens to our dormitory room as we did not want to eat our school lunch. We ordered three chickens, all different kinds, to the gym and we told the  delivery guy that we were going to pick them up there.

            When we got caught after eating all and my friends and I received 10 demerit points each, that was the start of my downfall. After getting 10 points, I received another two points after forgetting to go for Shin-Sung. Another two points for being late for school, one point for cleaning violation, and another point for self-study violation. I desperately tried to stop going to the court, but I could not handle it; no matter how studious I became, I kept going to the court for some anonimous reason. My total penalty points exceeded those of my friends excluding some, and my advisor teacher started to worry about me.

            But that was the end of my penalty-points era. After receiving so many demerit points, I began to understand how the demerit point system works. It became easy not to get any penalty points, and Now, I have not been to the court for quite a long time. For cleaning, I learnt to clean on the day before the cleaning checking day, so that I am not late for school on the next day. This is like killing two birds with one stone as I can abide by both the cleaning regulation and be not late for school. Secondly, I decided to study during self-study periods which are between 7-9pm and 10-12pm instead of spending my time meaninglessly. Only after Honjung till 10pm, I talk to my friends, share jokes, and fool around with them.

            Lastly, I do not eat food from outside anymore. Whenever my friends talk about ordering chickens, pizzas or eating instant noodle, I refuse to listen. I just stay away from all this kind of food as I know that they are not allowed inside school. My parents told me that they will still consider instant noodles, but I decided to stick to school meals as they are the healthiest, even though not the most delicious.

            Therefore, my life in Korean Minjok Leadership Academy is good, and I am getting any more penalty points.

2 comments:

  1. Let me finish it before tomorrow!! I promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see. This almost sounds like the first chapter of a KMLA Handbook for Freshman. If no such book exists, it should! Chapter 2 - How to Order Chicken Without Getting Caught. Chapter 3 - How Many Penalty Points Is Too Many. Etc. Etc.

    Good essay. I hope you're enjoying things here and getting in the groove. As for chicken and pizza - it will taste better when you get home and eat it freely, and the pizza from the local village isn't that great anyways. Pizza Hut all the way.

    ReplyDelete